This is batch cooking at its best. You’ll need six one-gallon freezer bags to store when you are finished!
- Category: Main Dish
- 6 pounds ground beef
- 1 (106 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained, juice reserved
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 18 cloves)
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 500F
- Using your hands, thoroughly combine beef, breadcrumbs, milk, eggs, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Shape into 1 to 1 1/2 inch meatballs, placing finished pieces close together on lightly greased broiler pans or rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball reads 160F. Cool meatballs.
- While meatballs are baking and cooling, mix the brown sugar and cornstarch in a large stockpot. Add pineapple juice, soy sauce, and vinegar; stir. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Cool sauce.
- Divide cooled meatballs and sauce evenly among the freezer bags. Divide drained pineapple tidbits evenly among the bags of meatballs and sauce.
- Seal and freeze.
- TO COOK ONE ENTREE: Completely thaw one entree in the refrigerator. Bake meatballs in preheated oven at 350F for 30 minutes OR put meatballs and sauce in a slow cooker on low for 2-5 hours.