- Serves: 4
- Category: Main Dish
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup fine-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound hot Italian-style sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh-grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring the stock to a gentle boil in a large saucepan. Sprinkle the cornmeal into the stock and whisk constantly for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, until the polenta has bubbled into a fairly thick mass. Stir in the butter thoroughly. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
- Saute the sausage, green pepper, and onion together in a skillet over medium heat until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables have softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the tomato and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spoon 1/4 of the sausage mixture into each of the 4 ramekins or other individual baking dishes. Spoon out 1/4 of the polenta onto the sausage mixture in each bowl and pres down to make a crust. Sprinkle the crust with the cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the crust has browned. Remove from the oven. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.