I’ve been trying to use up the meat in our freezer to make room for the deer that DH will hopefully get, and when looking through More-With-Less Cookbook (World Community Cookbook) I came across this recipe for sausage-sweet potato bake.
I decided to give it a try since I needed to use up some pork sausage, plus apples and sweet potatoes are in season.
- 1 pound bulk sausage
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, raw (sliced)
- 3 medium apples (peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Brown and drain the sausage.
- In a 2.5 qt casserole, layer the sausage, apples, and sweet potatoes.
- Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and water in a small bowl and pour over the sausage mixture.
- Cover and bake at 375F for 50-60 minutes or until the potatoes and apples are tender.
The Verdict: When I was making this, I realized that the ratio of meat to apples/sweet potatoes would probably not be up to DH’s liking. Luckily we had some leftover meatloaf as a backup. Turns out I needn’t have worried – it was DELICIOUS and DH said it was fine. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes and apples paired so well with the savory pork sausage. I will definitely be making this again!
This post shared at Simple Lives Thursday, Monday Mania, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
ThankYouThankYouThankYou for posting so quickly! I will definitely be trying this. (Have a great Thanksgiving)
Solana Beach Chef
Thank you so much for this recipe. I’ve been looking for sweet potato recipe because I read somewhere that it is rich in bulk fiber; fiber helps in proper and regular elimination. I love sausages, how about if I use the smoked one?
The Local Cook
any bulk-type of sausage should work.