When you think about making a salad, I’m pretty sure beets don’t come to mind. So when I saw this recipe in Simply in Season, I had no idea if it would turn out or not. There are several recipes like that in this cookbook, and so far I’ve been pleasantly surprised.There are a few variation of this salad in the cookbook, but this one is the simplest:
Simple Shredded Beet Salad
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup beets (cooked, peeled, and shredded)
4 Tbs parsley, chopped
Directions: Toss together vegetables, sprinkle with oil and vinegar.
The verdict: Surprisingly tasty. The earthiness of the beets is offset by the sweetness of the carrots, and the parsley is a nice chaser. Would make a great main dish salad with the addition of some chopped hard boiled eggs. The best part? Carrots, beets, and parsley are all included in Jonny Bowden’s The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth About What You Should Eat and Why
More excellent #SundaySupper Winter Salads
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma’s Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
FitJerk - Fitness Blog
Red and utterly delicious looking. I haven’t had beets in a while… time to change that! Good recipe.
.-= FitJerk – Fitness Blog´s last blog ..FitJerk Friday#5 – Focusing On The Positives =-.
I made a beet slaw with carrots and apple this week, not up on the blog yet, but it’s a bit like this recipe. We loved it, so good!
So in the meantime I’m sharing another healthy recipe I worked on for a while and which finalyl made it on my blog today, in honor of Valentine’s day 🙂
Lately, hearty soups have been my favorites for comforting winter meals. I really like spicy soups, and this Chicken Tortilla soup can be adapted many ways for any tastes.
I used to eat a salad similar to this when I lived in France. I think beets are much nicer when they are raw, sweet and crunchy. We used to let the salad marinate for a few hours to let the flavors marry, it was always very good.
Your blog is so cute and has such a great look! I think my sister (a vegan) would really enjoy reading your recipes. Thanks for stopping by my blog today.
.-= Anna´s last blog ..New Valentine’s Day Poll =-.
Stop for stopping by D.A.M.E. Appreciate it. Definitely have been voicing my opinions to those that count. Things do need to be cheaper especially if the government is pushing for children and families to be healthy!
Your blog is adorable & you have loads of great recipes! I will certainly be back for more! Happy SITS Saturday!