The theme for this week’s #SundaySupper is Fancy Appetizers, so I knew I had to share one of my all time favorites: Drunken Asparagus with Feta and Prosciutto.
DH came up with this recipe after we saw something similar at a local restaurant. The challenge was a homebrew party where you had to either make something with beer or pair it with beer. This recipe did both, and won 3rd place (as judged by Michigan Beer Blog).
The original recipe was asparagus wrapped in brie and speck. We decided to up the ante by first boiling the asparagus spears in homebrewed amber beer. Then we wrapped it in feta and prosciutto (since I have no idea where to get speck. Costco to the rescue–we went with feta and prosciutto!)
The slightly sweet amber beer was an excellent contrast to the salty feta and prosciutto. It was a big hit, and was the only savory item that placed (first and second were ice cream and cheesecake).
The quantities in the recipe are “ish,” as you can wrap as much or as little prosciutto around the asparagus as you want.
Drunken Asparagus with Feta and Prosciutto
- 1 pound asparagus spears
- 1 bottle amber beer
- 1 package prosciutto
- 4 oz feta crumbled
- In a skillet, boil asparagus and amber beer until asparagus is just softened and beer reduces a smidge.
- Let cool, then wrap the asparagus with prosciutto and sprinkle with feta
Check out these links for more fancy appetizers!
- BLT Crostini Sliders with Avocado Aioli by Casa de Crews
- Easy Caprese Puff Pastry Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- French Onion Palmiers by Cooking With Carlee
- Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Middle Eastern Deviled Eggs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mushroom and Blue Cheese Gougeres by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Simple Greek Pinwheels with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Soppressata Puffs by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baba Ganoush by The Crumby Cupcake
- Caesar Salad Wonton Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cucumber Bites with Creole Shrimp and Guacamole by Life Tastes Good
- Dates with Goat Cheese, Prosciutto and Truffle Honey by Monica’s Table
- Drunken Asparagus with Feta and Prosciutto by Wholistic Woman
- Italian Chicken Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Japanese Meatballs by NinjaBaker.com
- Loaded Hasselback Potatoes Mini Size by Crazed Mom
- Mini Caprese Bites With Balsamic Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
- Pork Dumplings by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Prosciutto and Blue Cheese Pear Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Lime Shrimp Cups by Our Good Life
- Mini Crab Cakes by My Savory Spoon
- Oysters Rockefeller by Caroline’s Cooking
- Scallop Crudo with Citrus by Cricket’s Confections
- Shrimp Martini by Palatable Pastime
- Southwestern Shrimp Spring Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Tuna Poke Mochi Waffles by Brunch-n-Bites
- Gluten Free Champagne Cake Pops by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Loaded Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips by Desserts Required
- Mini S’mores Tarts by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cheesecake Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Dijon Pecan Baked Brie Bites by Soulfully Made
- Wine Gummy Bears by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Fries with Basil Dipping Sauce by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Blue Cheese Asparagus Bites by Hardly A Goddess
- Broccoli Pesto Potato Bites by Simple and Savory
- Mushroom Purses by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Roasted Carrot Soup by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This reminds me of a Belgian dish that I’ve eaten (and made) before using Belgian endives. You wrap them with ham and make a cream sauce and then sprinkle cheese on top. It’s amazing. I never thought of substituting asparagus for the endives, but I think this would be delicious! Thank you for linking to Food on Fridays!
Yum! I’m a huge asparagus fan. Thanks so much for linking on the Momtrends Friday Food swap. Have a great 4th!
Wow, that’s a twist on the usual. I love asparagus, though I’ve never tried the proscuitto wrapped version. We usually just have it roasted or steamed. Must try, must try!
roz from 'la bella vita'
Thanks for sharing this last week on Fresh Food Friday! It was selected as one of the featured posts today!!! I hope that you can stop, check it out and share another great recipe! Also I’ve now started following you too! See you soon!
Love how easy and tasty these look!
I love that the asparagus is boiled in beer – I bet the flavor is extra delish!