I am in the mood for pizza at least once a week; unfortunately, whenever we order delivery, I always regret it two bites in because it seems so greasy. I decided that even if I don’t make my own pizza crust, homemade would be better in terms of taste and health – so here it is, a spring pizza that tastes great and has less grease.
This pizza recipe was inspired by Primavera Pizza, a recipe I found in The Gardener & the Grill: The Bounty of the Garden Meets the Sizzle of the Grill. I say inspired by because I didn’t make it on the grill, or follow the directions and swapped out some ingredients – but that’s the great thing about pizza, it’s very flexible. If you are short on time you can purchase pesto. However, I’ve found making your own pesto is super easy and a great way to use up extra herbs and greens that you might have from your garden.
Spring Pizza with Goat Cheese & Asparagus
Course: Main Course
- pizza crust
- 1 1?2 C chives
- 1?2 C parsley
- 1?2 C Parmesan cheese
- 1?2 C pine nuts
- 1?4 C olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice
- large handful asparagus cut into pieces
- 5 oz goat cheese
- 8 oz bacon (optional)
- For pesto: Add chives, parsley, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil, and lemon juice in a food processor and blend to desired consistency.
- Spread the pizza crust with pesto. (Use your favorite recipe or purchase a premade crust).
- Add the asparagus and meat and blobs of goat cheese
- Bake at 400F for about 12 minutes.
The Verdict: The original recipe called for grilling the asparagus first, but I rather liked the little bit of crunch that was left after baking with the pizza. This was incredible, and it was fun knowing that I went out and picked the chives and parsley for the pesto minutes before dinner. The asparagus was from my dad’s yard. And the goat cheese was made by my friend Veronica, who owns a local creamery. The mix of ingredients was very satisfying and tasted awesome.
More Easy Spring Recipes
- Broccoli and Asparagus Frittata by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Herb and Leek Frittata by My Imperfect Kitchen
Cakes, Pies, and Sweets
- Coconut Custard Pie by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Strawberry Meringue Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mango Banana Bread by Asian in America
- Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Upside Down Brown Sugar Apricot Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Cookies and Bars
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Coconut Mango Chia Pudding Parfait by The Crumby Cupcake
- Maple Syrup Madeleines by The Finer Cookie
- Oatmeal Rhubarb Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Pistachio Lemon Bars by From the Bookshelf
- Creamy and Tangy Avocado Chicken Salad by Cooking On The Ranch
- Grilled Lamb Lollipops with a Lemon and Pea Dip by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Lemon Quinoa Salad with Asparagus and Tomatoes by Hardly a Goddess
- Pad Thai Spring Rolls by Brunch-n-Bites
- Parmesan Crusted Pork Tenderloin by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Spring Pizza with Goat Cheese & Asparagus by Wholistic Woman
- Spring Power Bowl by Simple and Savory
- Crab and Asparagus Pasta by My Savory Spoon.com
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus Rotini Pasta by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pasta Salad with Artichoke Hearts & Feta by Soulfully Made
- Simple Pasta with Peas, Ham and Cream by Cooking With Carlee
- Spinach Artichoke Pasta Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Baked Swordfish and Asparagus with Lentils and Chermoula by Caroline’s Cooking
- Flaked Salmon Arugula Spinach Watercress Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Salmon with Brie by Books n’ Cooks
- Red Snapper in a Saffron-Tomato Broth with Artichoke Hearts & Potatoes by Gourmet Everyday
- Roasted Shrimp and Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Salmon with Parsley Pesto and Peas by Cooking Chat
Veggies and Sides
- Alfredo Scalloped Potatoes with Ham by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Asparagus Ham and Swiss Danish Braid by Crazed Mom
- Asparagus Soup by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Cheesy Potato Asparagus Tart by Sunday Supper Movement
- Herbed Lemon Potato Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Microwave Carrots and Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Roasted Spring Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Shaved Asparagus Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef
It’s Autumn here but I’d be happy to eat that pizza!
The Finer Cookie/Kim
Hi Wendy, your pizza looks great! We have pizza every Friday night, but last Friday, we went out. Maybe I should make it tonight for Sunday supper. Thanks.